Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Retina Has Attachment Issues

First, it tore.

We tackled it with a laser, which was a unique experience.

It remained cloudy, like a thin curtain of mesh had been stretched tight over its lens.

Then it got better. Slowly, at first; then hastening and going like gangbusters, until I pronounced it 99.9% GOOD.

I went in for the one-month follow-up visit, happy for a quick, stress-free encounter with a great group of doctors and nurses at the Retina Institute.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Now, it's detaching.

This is not good.

Funny thing: I hadn't even noticed. Dr. Astruc assured me that I would notice, tonight for sure, and if I hadn't come in today, I would have been calling in a panic on Monday, because my vision is slowly but surely darkening.

He said, "We will need to do surgery soon." I'm thinking, "Next week...hmmmm...what's on the calendar?"

But he's saying one word, "TOMORROW" and I'm pulled up short and realizing that everything changes in a quick 24 hours.

Surgery tomorrow, in a procedure that I don't want to even think about, but it involves bubbles and buckles and somehow I feel like I'm ordering something on HSN.

"I'd like the Bubbles and Buckles please - two of each! Thank you SO much!"

I'm not looking forward to this, but I am grateful that we caught it early, glad to be in the hands of a very capable physician and glad that the world will keep spinning while I lay on the couch for the next seven days with my head tilted at a peculiar angle.

(So the bubble stays in place.)

(Oh, joy.)

7 comments:

dyan said...

Will be praying, Beth. I know it's a scary thing, especially when it involves your eyesight. My dad has had the surgery (maybe twice) and did well with it. My prayers are that you will too.

Lori said...

Will keep you in thoughts and prayers for both you and the Dr's. Buckles and bubbles work. I'm sorry this has been such a long road for you. Darn. Get a good neck massage, albeit a light one and ice your neck... keeping the position can be an honest to goodness pain in the neck!
prayers and love Beth.

Connie Kottmann said...

Bubbles are healing: John 5:7 (NLT)
“I can’t, sir,” the sick man said, “for I have no one to put me into the pool when the water bubbles up. Someone else always gets there ahead of me.”

And buckles, of course, protect: Psalm 35:2 (NIV 84)
Take up shield and buckler; arise and come to my aid.

Ephesians 6:14 (NIV 84)
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist...

Donia said...

Love Connie's comment and verses! I've got nothin'...but I will continue to pray.

Anonymous said...

We're praying hard for you, rest assured. Take this time off as an opportunity to take care of Beth. I gather she could use some me time.

We love you.

Matt

Lindsay Durrenberger said...

EEEEEEK PRAYING FOR YOU.

Brandee Shafer said...

Sometimes, when I put Baby Chip to my breast, and he fails--in his flailing and fussing--to latch, I say to him: "Commit, Baby Chip, or I really am going to take it away!"

It sounds to me as though your retina has commitment issues. Would you like me to come over and yell at it?